Ode to THE skillet
10" round x 2" deep cast iron
1. Utilitarian indestructible beauty of cooking potential.
2. Cheap to own- if you are unlucky you will have to buy brand new, if you keep an eye out you may score a beautiful used one for next to nada at garage/estate sales.
3. Appropriate for indoor and outdoor cooking adventures- pack it on your next camping trip it will be worth the haul!
4. You could grill in the skillet- fish or veggies are a personal favorite.
5. You could fry with it- enough said.
6. You could broil/bake- everything bakes better in the skillet, best example ever: corn bread or broiled aged rib eye.
7. Self-defense gadget- I am not paranoid but it is a hefty piece of equipment, and I don't play softball.
8. Heirloom piece- because of it's durability a well seasoned skillet will outlast generations, and talk about the essence of family traditions being past down with such beauty.
9. Easy to clean, no soap method- to keep well seasoned, wash with hot water and a brush (metal scour pad if heavily soiled) Always removing all food debris and excess oil, then throughly drying the skillet surfaces on the stove, and wiping dry before storage.
10. Good ol' cast iron- not aluminum, not teflon, not glazed, not tempered, not polished, not anodized anything leaving me wondering what may be leaking in my food....
11. Superior heat distribution/retention- if you want crust on anything you cook you just have to give the skillet a go!
12. Goes from cooking--->serving looking sharp and homey, all while keeping your grub hot :)